Friday, January 12, 2007

Here we are again at the weekend and I’m seriously having any doubts about going out. It’s not that there is nothing to do. In fact, the Solstice Music party at Differ on Saturday should pack one helluva punch with Etnica headlining.

Joining Italians Max and Maurizio for this Etnicanet special are live acts
7even Sister7, Pleiadians, and Species – first live in Japan – and DJs
Max vs. Maurizio, Ryo of Solstice Music and Klowd aka O.D.A.


For more info, go to Solstice Web site. Click on “Events,” and then “Other Party Info.”



BrainBusters 1st Anniversary Party
Saturday, Jan. 6 at Tokyo Kinema Club
(http://www.brainbusters.info/)

I unexpectedly found myself at the BrainBusters “Helter Skelter in Tokyo” at Kinema last Saturday night. Killer party where a bunch of “hisashiburi” (“haven’t seen you in a while”) friends showed up unexpectedly to toast in the new year.

In any other year, I would have been hammered down with a wicked flu on the first weekend after New Year’s Eve, along with everyone else. I credit the extra day since Sunday and the more dispersed New Year’s crowd for part of the solid turnout for BrainBusters and my willingness to travel across town for it. It was a good decision.

Tokyo Kinema is a fairly cool place. It reminds me of Junkbox over in Shibaura with its wide dance floor and seating around the fringes. But the mezzanine area upstairs is much larger, with more chairs and couches to entrench yourself and still catch a hint of the bass. The runway to the bar lets people line up three deep without congesting the dancefloor.

BrainBusters charged 6,000 yen at the door (5,000 yen advance) and gave everybody a copy of their “Looney Tunes” compilation. The price seemed a little high for the lineup – live acts Xenomorph, oCeLoT and Derango, plus DJ SpliffNik – however, at least 300 people did show up, meaning that Dana & Co. can pay Kinema’s expensive tab.

The music was a bit strenuous to absorb the longer the night went on, especially with no Red Bull energy drink on hand. My brain rebelled the next day by making me believe that the Indian pop playing inside a restaurant was actually fun music.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Red Bull? The stuff's crap. Triple shots of espresso and tequila work magic. Only give your stomach a good rest between the caffein and agave.

9:07 PM  
Blogger DJO said...

Yes, if only I could get an espresso at a club, then I wouldn't need Red Bull to stay on my feet. Tequila and I came to an understanding years ago -- more than 2 shots in a night and I get what's coming to me.

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Free Counter